Five great summer desserts
23rd Jul 2013
We’ve been treated to some lovely summer weather recently and a day on a sun-drenched beach wouldn’t be complete with a Treleavens ice cream. The sunshine has also inspired our team of pastry chefs to create some lovely light and refreshing desserts to tempt our sweet tooth.
We joined our executive pastry chef, Stuart Pate, in our production kitchen to watch him at work and ask him his five favourite summer desserts:
Summer is all about alfresco dining and desserts that are full of fruit and freshness. If I had to pick just five, they would be:
- Strawberry tarts – Pick one up from Stein’s Patisserie for a picnic treat
- Eton mess – The perfect pub pudding in the beer garden at The Cornish Arms
- Strawberry soufflé – Best enjoyed after dinner at The Seafood Restaurant
- Lemon tarts – A refreshing finish to a summer sizzled steak at St Petroc’s Bistro
- Panna cotta with summer berry compote – Best enjoyed after fish & chips in Falmouth or Padstow
We also took the opportunity to ask Stuart some of his trade secrets for making panna cotta so we could share with you.
Stuart’s top tips:
- When making panna cotta you need to be careful not to heat the cream too much as it will make the texture of the finished product hard and rubbery.
- To make sure the vanilla seeds are nicely suspended throughout the panna cotta, make sure you pour the mixture into the moulds just as it is starting to set.
All our desserts and pastries are handmade in Padstow by Stuart and his team of chefs. You can discover how to create some of Stuart’s desserts with his one-day cookery course at Padstow Seafood School.