Five top tips to great fish and chips
Every year we serve over 204,000 portions of chips across our businesses in Padstow and Falmouth and if you lined the chips up end-to-end they would stretch for 152 miles. That’s from Padstow to Bristol!
We source, clean, chip and cook all of our own chips here in Padstow, and that’s not it; our talented chefs also produce our made in Padstow curry and tartare sauces, mushy peas and bread for the chip butties! All made to Rick’s tried and tested recipes of course.
We also have grilled fish, perfect for those looking for a less indulgent treat and gluten free batter.
Whether it’s after a day on the beach building sandcastles, a romantic coastal walk around the headland or exploring the hidden charms of Padstow – the day wouldn’t be complete without a portion of Rick’s fish & chips with lashings of salt n vinegar – oh and a glass of Camel Valley or two!
Here are our five top tips for great fish & chips:
- We coat our fish in a simple batter and then deep fry in beef dripping to make it really crisp.
- Choose a fresh fish, clear of slime, bright in colour and without smell.
- Carefully choose your potatoes – We use Maris Piper or Golden Wonder potatoes (these are fluffy potatoes, they also make great mash).
- You need a large fryer and really clean oil or fat.
- Serve with mayonnaise-based tartare sauce and mushy peas.