How to make the perfect mince pie
10th Dec 2013
Making mince pies is a great festive activity to do with the family in the run up to Christmas. On a cold December day, nothing beats a warm mince pie with a large spoonful of Cornish clotted cream!
We asked our executive pastry chef, Stuart Pate, for his top tips to make the perfect mince pie.
1) If you are making your own mincemeat make sure you don’t overcook your fruit as it will be too soft and mushy and loose its shape. If you don’t want to make your own mincemeat you can buy Rick’s tried and tested version in Stein’s Deli.
2) Fresh apple is a great addition to a mince pie, but make sure you cook the apple gently first before adding to the mincemeat.
3) Don’t make your pastry too thick and lightly brush a little milk on the top of the pie before baking.
4) The secret to a mince pie is plenty of filling so don’t be shy when adding the mincemeat.
5) When you take your masterpieces out of the oven don’t leave them in the tin as this will make your pastry soft.