Jack’s Hacks #2: Oysters for non-oyster lovers
Oysters are the most divisive shellfish. Lots, including us, love their fresh, salty taste and others don’t. Jack Stein’s top tip for anyone who doesn’t like them raw or hasn’t had one before is to try them cooked. They’re fantastic fried in a light tempura batter served with a soy and sesame dipping sauce or grilled with a good handful of Parmesan and a drizzle of hot sauce. Oysters make a very memorable addition to any seafood supper, a great way to wow guests and show off your cookery skills.
Watch Jack’s video below to discover more about shucking and cooking oysters, which are available from our online shop here.
Tempura oysters recipe
- To make the batter, use a half plain flour half cornflour mix (50g of each) and 175ml of cold sparkling water.
- Mix this until it becomes a thick batter, vaguely resembling wallpaper paste. Don’t worry about lumps, these will fluff up when frying.
- Heat some neutral oil (sunflower or vegetable oil are perfect) to 180 degrees.
- Whilst waiting for the oil to heat, shuck the oysters by inserting a knife into one end, twisting it, and popping the shell open. Use a tea towel or glove to protect your hand.
- Keep the oyster shells as they can be washed and used to serve the oysters in.
- Once the oil is up to heat, dunk your oysters in the batter and then carefully add the oysters to the oil. Lay the oysters into the oil away from you to make sure the it doesn’t splash you.
- Fry the oysters for one minute, then remove and leave to drain on a wire rack.
- Serve in the cleaned shells – fantastic with a soy sauce and sesame oil dipping sauce.
Grilled oysters with Parmesan and hot sauce recipe
- To begin, shuck your oysters and leave them in the shell.
- Grate a generous amount of Parmesan over the top and place under a medium-high grill for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from the grill and drizzle with your favourite hot sauce.
Stein’s Online Fishmongers
We deliver a wide range of sustainably caught fresh fish and shellfish, straight to your door around the country. Choose from fish boxes, fillets, whole fish, shellfish, smoked fish and ready to eat products too.