General Manager at Rick Stein, Marlborough
1) When did you join the team?
I joined the Rick Stein team at the end of August 2016 to open our restaurant in Marlborough on the 8th October 2016
2) What attracted you to this company?
Rick Stein has a lot in common with the gastronomic culture from coastal Normandy where I come from. I’ve also always been attracted to quality service which is a core focus in this business
3) What have you enjoyed most about working here so far?
What has surprised me most and what I’ve really appreciated is the amount of support the company provides, from the range of training opportunities to the general taking care of their employees
4) Why did you chose the hospitality industry?
I come from a family of restaurateurs with 3 generations of restaurant-hotels, patisserie and outside catering businesses. At one stage my parents owned 4 restaurants in Saint Valery en Caux, a coastal village of Normandy serving seafood and fresh fish
5) What’s the best part of your job?
The best part of my role is being in constant contact with guests and staff, contributing to the success of the growing of the company
6) What are the top 3 qualities you need to work here?
You need to be fair, fun and attentive
7) What’s your favourite item on the menu?
My favourite dish is the Dover sole
8) What training opportunities have you taken part in since joining the team?
So far I have been on a 3 day first aid course and I’ve also really enjoyed the training as part of the monthly management meetings in Cornwall
9) Are there career progression opportunities available within the business?
It seems that the company is growing at a steady pace so I hope and expect to see some natural progression in the management structure in the next couple of years
10) What would you recommend to someone who’s looking to join the team?
My main recommendation would be to apply for a job, even if it is below your skills and work all the way up to ensure that you learn and understand the business
Find out about more of our team here.